City : Careers Advice Centre : How to find out more about the job you want
Before you decide where you are going to get a job you should try and find out more about the job.
The best two ways of doing it are by speaking to someone who works there at the moment, and by doing some research on the internet.
Asking Someone Who Works There
The best way of finding out what the job is like is by talking to someone who is there already.
You can get them to tell you about what it is really like to work there and how they got the job. They can give you the inside track. Here are some questions that you might like to ask once you've found someone to speak to:
- Do you like working there? Why / Why not?
- What do you do on a normal day?
- What is the hardest / easiest part of the job?
- What did you have to do to get the job?
- What is the application process?
- What skills are the employers looking for?
Try Internet Forums like The Student Room where you can ask questions about the job you are interested in and see what other people have asked.
If you know the company you want to work for they may have a company blog or website that you should look at.
Also try typing into Google 'How to get a job at ...' and see what advice comes up.
Here are the things you should be looking for when you are researching a job:
- What's it like working there?
- What does the job description say?
- What skills and experiences do they ask for?